Bespoke Briefs, Part 2
A second attempt!
This time I decided to try something a little less dificult, a more simpler pair of pants a cut more like the briefs you'd pick up in a supermarket or as I call them 'straight mens pants'!
Refering to these as 'Straight mens pants' is no insult in my mind as I love these types of undies as much as any, I just call them this as a few years ago, if a straight man was known to wear briefs rather than god awfull boxers, then nine times out of ten, he'd wear this style.
This time I wasn't just going to use an old T-Shirt, I wanted proper material and if possible a material with stretch included. So off to the market we went and after a good rumage on all the material stalls I found two Lycra type materials, one bright pink and the other, grey.
Together I thought the colours looked pretty good!
It's all in the piping!
Not only did I need material but also waistbands ... we found rolls of elastic in a couple of widths and my idea was to cover the elastic, however for the first attempt I decided to just sew the elastic directly to the material.
Again I took an existing pair of pants and used them for making a pattern, NOT taking them apart of course .... couldn't bring myself to destroy a pair of pants!
With a pattern made, the first part is the pouch .... four pieces, two for the outside and two for the inside, so the pouch is lined! That's the simple part, believe me!
Then it's the sides, that connect to the pouch, in the contrasting colour and to complete the pants, the back or the seat. All this went together pretty well, but next came the most difficult part, which is where you could say it all goes wrong .... the piping! How do they do it I scream to myself! Of course it's done by machinery which not only sews it on but cuts the material as it's been sewn on .... something which I think I'll never be able to replicate properly ... however, we'll see :0)
If you look closely, the piping is created from strips of material,, which is a 'PIG' to sew on especially for a novice! But I kind of got something near .... but as you can see in some places like on the pouch, they are far to thick!
The last task was to use the elastic and make the waiste band .... the raw elastic kind of works, they're kind of like a very 'cheap' pair of briefs you'd pick up from a market some years ago!
Guess what ....
Well, believe it or not I have actually made a pair of pants that could actually be worn .... the front pouch is not completely right, but that's only down to the 'piping' not the construction of the pouch .... the back is almost perfect and ... they actually fit quite well ... I've just got to refine and learn how to use the sewing machine better ..... and I have definately got to find out how to get the piping to look something near to shop quality!
PART 3 to follow soon ....